The Star Sailors League
At the initiative of the world’s best sailors, an international circuit of regattas for the promotion of sailing athletes was launched in January 2013. Under the name of “Star Sailors League” (SSL), the event comprises all the regattas contested in the Star Class (200 per year) and proposes a unified world Ranking modelled on the ATP World Tour created by tennis players in 1972.
Like in tennis, the SSL distributes prize money to its athletes and plans to organise 4 Grand Slams and 1 Grand Final by the years 2020-2022.
Since 2013, the growing concept has already allowed the organisation of one Finals each year. In 2015 and 2016, the SSL tried one Grand Slam per year. The first ever Grand Slam was a Lake edition in Switzerland and in 2016, a City Edition was hold in Hamburg, Germany.
What they say about the SSL
- What is the SSL, by Mark Reynolds
- La voile prend son destin en main en s’inspirant du format ATP, Figaro Nautisme
- Neue Weltliga für die Stars, Yacht.de
- Star League,c'è anche Torben, Repubblica
The Star Sailors League has one of the biggest ranking of the sailing world. It’s the only one, which rank Skipper and Crew separately. The ranking is updated weekly as his big brother the ATP Ranking.
- SSL Awards explained: the Medals
- SSL Awards explained: the Sir Roland Symonette Trophy
- SSL Awards explained: the Andrew Bart Simpson Memorial Trophy
- SSL Awards explained: the Dennis Conner Trophy